Blog Directory - Blogged

Thursday, October 04, 2007

 
More Edward Gorey

I learned recently that Edward Gorey illustrated an edition of The War of the Worlds. I ordered a copy, and it arrived today!

In truth, I was a bit disappointed by the print quality of the illustrations. The illustrations are small, mostly 2" x 3.5", and Gorey's style does not translate well to this size. His trademark detail is largely lost in the reproduction, and the images are blotchy and hard to read.

Having said this, I still love the idea of Gorey illustrating this story. I would like to see a new edition with the same illustrations, but with heavier paper and printed larger - perhaps a full page image at the beginning of each chapter.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?