Blog Directory - Blogged

Friday, August 24, 2007

 
Flanders and Swann

This post made me think for the first time in a long time about The Bestiary of Flanders and Swann. I had this record when I was a kid. It’s a collection of dry, quirky animal songs which I sort of vaguely but fondly remember. I was very happy to find this site, which posts the lyrics to the songs on the album. The song I remembered most clearly was The Ostrich:

....Oooh, Peek-a-Boo, I can't see you,
Everything must be grand.
Boo-ka-Pee, they can't see me,
As long as I've got me head in the sand.
Peek-a-Boo, it may be true,
There's something in what you've said,
But we've got enough troubles in everyday life, I just bury me head . . . .

The song ends tragically; we discover the ostrich has buried his head in a nuclear testing ground. I recommend reading through the rest of the lyrics - it's well worth the time.

Update:
I also found this performance of The Gnu Song on YouTube.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?